Modérateur : allinside

Répondre
electroncraz91
Technicien
Technicien

Re: [REAL] Photon3K-First DIY retina projector (2880x1800) - Photo Heavy

Message par electroncraz91 » 27 janv. 2014, 23:25

Greetings from the USA!

This may be the first? retina projector built, at least in the USA. It started when I heard the 15 inch Macbook Pro LCD had an astonishing resolution of 2880x1800 pixels! I researched the tear down of a retina Macbook and found out it was deportable (no cable running behind lcd)! Some guy in Slovakia had built a retina interface (mad props for Rozsnyo, www.rozsnyo.com). Go figure! Let just say I got a little too excited and bought the LCD from China for $200!

Opening of retina LCD

I've started on this project since June 2011. It was March 2013 when I got into the retina display. Balancing school and time for the projector, I really wanted to test it to make sure it works before spending a lot of money on a point light source. As you can see I put a lot of time into the box, making sure it does not stand out in my room as some ghetto piece of crap, instead made it blend in like nice furniture. I'll admit I spent way too much time perfecting the box. :)

Birch Stained with Minwax Gunstock with polyurethane

As of the start of 2014, I'm in my second semester of electrical engineering. Funny I'm going to engineering school and I'm building a projector along side of it! I will admit though, I did not have plans for the projector. No schematics or anything before I built the box. I had done some calculations on paper to meet the focal lengths, but basically I had no plans made out before doing this. :pt1cable:

Here is what I used in it so far.
15inch Retina (2880x1800) LG LP154WT1-SJA2
Rozsnyo dp2mbpr Interface Card
35 Watt Xenon H9/ no reflector (as of 2014 for testing purposes)
F330 .2mm pitch Fresnel
Motorized F330 Triplet Used from LumenLab
Front surface mirror 8x10inch

I have a relay box that is remote controlled for power and focusing. I plan to set up dimming the light source as well when I decide what arc lamp to use. For now this is what I have.

Electric focus!

1920x1080p windowed movie at native resolution!

Nice color production.

Crysis 1-Scene before the boat.

6 meter Projection! HEHE

As you can see the pictures don't do their justice, the LCD is very sharp at 2880x1800. It's hard to take pictures of it and capture all the pixels.

So there it is, first retina projector! I named the projector "Photon3K" before it was built, as the retina is close to 3000 horizontal lines. I really wanted to make this projector as "4K" televisions are slowly coming out. I wanted to make this projector future proof, useful for the next 10 years. I know 1080p will die out soon, besides you can't buy a >1080p projector for less than $25,000! :kaola:

Morb@ck
Ingénieur
Ingénieur

Message par Morb@ck » 28 janv. 2014, 11:55

Super !
les coins me paraissent sombre.. ?
35w pour le xenon.. économie d'énergie.. mais la projection doit manquer un peu de luminosité ? Difficile de se rendre compte sur photo.. un kit xenon 100W ou une led de 100w serait plus sympas !
La carte contrôleur de Rozsnyo n'est pas donnée.. En tout cas ça doit être sympas comme résolution en projection..

Fais nous des photo avec des mires et donne tes paramètres de photographie (iso.., temps d'exposition..)

allinside
PDG
PDG

Message par allinside » 28 janv. 2014, 19:00

Hello
Good job, Congratulation
:sol:

electroncraz91
Technicien
Technicien

Message par electroncraz91 » 29 janv. 2014, 04:09

Super !
les coins me paraissent sombre.. ?
35w pour le xenon.. économie d'énergie.. mais la projection doit manquer un peu de luminosité ? Difficile de se rendre compte sur photo.. un kit xenon 100W ou une led de 100w serait plus sympas !
La carte contrôleur de Rozsnyo n'est pas donnée.. En tout cas ça doit être sympas comme résolution en projection..

Fais nous des photo avec des mires et donne tes paramètres de photographie (iso.., temps d'exposition..)
This project is not complete at all! The 35w xenon is not mounted or aligned completely and the triplet is not aligned either! I'm thinking about moving the mirror up as well. But right now projection is looking well. As for the light source, I'm looking at Osram/sylvania short arc 250W or 400W with 3mm arc length. :whistle: The brightness is lacking (all lights in the room need to be turned off and let my eyes adjust). The dark corners are not as bad as shown in the photos. I will admit this is a very DARK LCD. The retina is not very transparent, you need a bright light to shine through it. But with a dark LCD you get great color and dark levels. :)

What is interesting with a high resolution LCD is that I can use the video card to crop the screen for a small wall and still get full HD 1080p. Youtube 4K videos look stunning and gaming has well rounded objects. I highly recommend the retina if you plan on projecting a 3-6 meter screen and sitting 2 meters in front of it. Sitting 5 meters back you start to squint your eyes to see the small text. Ceiling mount is a must. This projector does have keystone (trapezoid).

I'd say, the quality and resolution may be as close to real theatre projection if I can get a better light source.

skappy1
Chef d'équipe
Chef d'équipe

Message par skappy1 » 29 janv. 2014, 19:07

Salut à tous,

Je suis intéressé par la construction d'un VP à base d'un LCD Retina (la résolution me fait baver ...) mais pour une raison d'encombrement j'aimerai partir sur un modèle de 7,9" et non 15"...
Auriez vous une idée d'un modèle qui pourait convenir s'il vous plait ?
(reso : 2880x1800) ?

Merci beaucoup à tous pour le coup de main
Bonne conitnuation dans vos projets et bonne fin de journée

electroncraz91
Technicien
Technicien

Message par electroncraz91 » 29 janv. 2014, 22:22

Salut à tous,

Je suis intéressé par la construction d'un VP à base d'un LCD Retina (la résolution me fait baver ...) mais pour une raison d'encombrement j'aimerai partir sur un modèle de 7,9" et non 15"...
Auriez vous une idée d'un modèle qui pourait convenir s'il vous plait ?
(reso : 2880x1800) ?

Merci beaucoup à tous pour le coup de main
Bonne conitnuation dans vos projets et bonne fin de journée
I think Rozsnyo still makes the interface cards for the iPad 3 retina (9.7inch @ 2048x1536, no idea what the model number is). I have no idea if the interface card is compatible for the iPad air (9.2inch) or mini (7.9inch). What I like about those screens is the smaller build that surpasses 1080p. In fact if you change your mind wanting the projector upright or sideways, it will be close to 864p if 16:9. At least nVidia will let you rotate, resize, color correct. But I decided I want a more "widescreen 16:10" projection than standard 4:3 giving me less horizontal bars for widescreen movies. I could lay it on it's size and still get 1800x1012 (16:9), close to 1080p.

I was going to use a free 4:3 1600x1200 laptop screen. It was very transparent, easy for the light to project through. However, since I was building a big projector already, I went with the retina. Retina has a lot more contrast and color reproduction/ at the cost of a darker LCD. I also knew about the "image retention" problem with retinas, only the new models of LG retinas(LG LP154WT1-SJA2) and the Samsungs DO NOT have screen retention. I have no idea what issues the iPad retinas have.

Hope this helps start DIY retina projections!

Andrea72
Apprenti
Apprenti

Message par Andrea72 » 30 janv. 2014, 13:09

Hello, i bought retina display, i 'm at my second projectin ,first in 2005, can tell me which is the better light for retina ?
I have an osram hqi ts 400 w from 2005 but i think is insufficient for dark lcd
Thanks in advance

electroncraz91
Technicien
Technicien

Message par electroncraz91 » 30 janv. 2014, 16:42

Hello, i bought retina display, i 'm at my second projectin ,first in 2005, can tell me which is the better light for retina ?
I have an osram hqi ts 400 w from 2005 but i think is insufficient for dark lcd
Thanks in advance
Probably is insufficient. Unless you have a pitch dark room.

I have tried the retina with a 400w "CoralVue 6500" metal halide lamp with a 70mm arc length and no reflector. I'd say its comparable to a 55w xenon in place. It is a poor choice of light source because the retina needs a point source (and you want 10-3mm arc length with a good reflector) to sharply display the tiny pixels from center to edge. The 400w metal halide is a big arc light source, too much loss in brightness. I plan to get a 250w or 400w 3-5mm short arc Osram @ 7000k, but right now it's up in the air on the specific bulb. I also plan on fabricating my own reflector for the best possible light throw.

I don't know what retina you are using, I'm going to assume the Ipad retina. Ipad retina is going to be easier than the 15inch Macbook with no dark corners. I heard from other forums that a .2mm pitch fresnel displays pixels sharper than the regular .5mm pitch. I decided to get the .2mm for the retina, turns out it works very well.

If you do use an arc lamp though, place the arc perpendicular to the length of the LCD, not parallel. This will make the length of projection sharper. You can barely read text on the edges of a retina with a 70mm arc length! Go for short arc and use a small reflector.

I'm also testing LED's but my video card is being RMA'ed. :(

Andrea72
Apprenti
Apprenti

Message par Andrea72 » 30 janv. 2014, 17:49

Probably is insufficient. Unless you have a pitch dark room.

I have tried the retina with a 400w "CoralVue 6500" metal halide lamp with a 70mm arc length and no reflector. I'd say its comparable to a 55w xenon in place. It is a poor choice of light source because the retina needs a point source (and you want 10-3mm arc length with a good reflector) to sharply display the tiny pixels from center to edge. The 400w metal halide is a big arc light source, too much loss in brightness. I plan to get a 250w or 400w 3-5mm short arc Osram @ 7000k, but right now it's up in the air on the specific bulb. I also plan on fabricating my own reflector for the best possible light throw.

I don't know what retina you are using, I'm going to assume the Ipad retina. Ipad retina is going to be easier than the 15inch Macbook with no dark corners. I heard from other forums that a .2mm pitch fresnel displays pixels sharper than the regular .5mm pitch. I decided to get the .2mm for the retina, turns out it works very well.

If you do use an arc lamp though, place the arc perpendicular to the length of the LCD, not parallel. This will make the length of projection sharper. You can barely read text on the edges of a retina with a 70mm arc length! Go for short arc and use a small reflector.

I'm also testing LED's but my video card is being RMA'ed. :(

U mean 1 like this http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products ... /index.jsp , 7000k? Not 6000? And i use same retina as you, i must buy controller from rosznyo.
If u find a solution for the light send me a message becouse i wait your choice,i trust in you! ;)
I bought this
Fresnel lens 395x320mm f550mm 0.2
A007 Aspherical lens Ø100 f80.5mm
M041R2 Spherical reflector Ø70 f104mm
FRL014 Fresnel lens 400x320mm f330mm 0.2
"Zoom Triplet lens
65mm CA with 310-360mm f.l.
Aluminum case, coated optics"

You think is correct?
Thanks

p.s what do you think Osram SharXS HTI 575 W/D4/60 6000k 4 lumen 49000 cd 49000 ?

electroncraz91
Technicien
Technicien

Message par electroncraz91 » 31 janv. 2014, 05:49

U mean 1 like this http://www.osram.com/osram_com/products ... /index.jsp , 7000k? Not 6000? And i use same retina as you, i must buy controller from rosznyo.
If u find a solution for the light send me a message becouse i wait your choice,i trust in you! ;)
I bought this
Fresnel lens 395x320mm f550mm 0.2
A007 Aspherical lens Ø100 f80.5mm
M041R2 Spherical reflector Ø70 f104mm
FRL014 Fresnel lens 400x320mm f330mm 0.2
"Zoom Triplet lens
65mm CA with 310-360mm f.l.
Aluminum case, coated optics"

You think is correct?
Thanks

p.s what do you think Osram SharXS HTI 575 W/D4/60 6000k 4 lumen 49000 cd 49000 ?
Should work if you use..
Triplet f360mm
F2 f330 Fresnel
F1 f550 Fresnel
I don't about the objective and reflective stuff yet. I'm just going by bare bulb for now. But if you want to play with your reflectors and condensing lens, use this program http://jeanmarie.biansan.free.fr/optgeo.html its great for seeing light rays and combining different lenses and seeing how they interact with each other. You can also use it to figure out where to position mirrors if your doing a L or U path projector.

As for the light source, it's still up in the air. I'm looking for a lamp that is 250-400W, 6500-7500k ish, 3-5mm arc, 2000-3000hrs. and less than $150 USD. I have an old 400W electronic ballast from an old halide lamp, so it would be nice to use that. Here is a $95USD lamp from Osram http://ecom.sylvania.com/sylvaniab2b/b2 ... ry=*54313*. It is possible to under drive it to 400W, bumping the color temperature up when running 60% (perhaps 7200-8000k?) here's some documentation http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/Docum ... 3ab996.pdf I'm also experimenting with LED too, but looks like no go. :(

As for a reflector, I'm thinking about machining my own to be as small as possible in diameter yet be custom parabolic to meet the length of F1. I'm not considering a condenser lens yet because the custom made reflector. I need to research deeper into parabolas and their relations of their focal lengths.

Best of luck to your retina projector. :sol:

Répondre

Revenir à « 15 »